Air Squared Projects
Semi-Hermetic Scroll Compressor for CO2 Collection
The semi-hermetic P19H038A-BLDC-SH scroll compressor has no dynamic seals and is suitable for operation with CO2 and other gases.
The semi-hermetic P19H038A-BLDC-SH is adopted from a non-sealed scroll compressor of similar design that is used onboard commercial airliners. The unit was modified to compress CO2 with minimal leakage and contamination of the working fluid and is part of an SBIR Phase I project awarded to Air Squared to develop scroll solutions that support ISRU processes by collecting, separating, pressurizing or processing gasses from the Mars atmosphere. The proprietary semi-hermetic configuration protects the compressor from ingress of debris and has allowed Air Squared to extensively test a number of performance metrics using CO2.
The P19H038A-BLDC-SH uses a proprietary magnetic coupling configuration. The configuration completely isolates the motor from the compression processes and is typically used when electrical components cannot contact with the working fluid.
- Max. Discharge Pressure: 5.17 barg
- Max. Volume Flow: 430 lpmv
- Nominal Shaft Power: 3.17 kW
- Nominal Sound Level: 65 dB(A)
- Ambient Temp. Range: -20 ºC – 40 ºC
- Net Weight: 28 lb
- Dimmensions: 23 cm x 24 cm x 34 cm
March 8, 2018
- NASA Award Funds Development of Martian Atmosphere Scroll Compressor
- Semi-Hermetic Scroll Compressor for CO2 Collection
- NASA Funds Multi-Stage Scroll Compressor Technology
- Durable and Compact Scroll Compressor for Commercial Aerospace